Saturday, April 10, 2010

JOotG Chapter 10 - Tentative Touches

A/N: I don't own Twilight, its characters, or anything else you might recognize.

This chapter is dedicated to kimberlycullen10 and MartiniBaby1 for their mad review skills and MartiniBaby1's request for a moment of dazzlement ;)

----------

BPOV

I was driving home after my office hours on Wednesday afternoon, listening to my old Styx CD – one of many that Jasper makes fun of me for. As I was belting out "Renegade" at the top of my lungs, I heard a strange buzzing noise. I turned the radio down, tilting my head and listening closely as I tried to figure out if I had finally blown my speakers.

I heard it again.

I realized it was coming from my messenger bag, so I grumbled to myself and pulled the bag across the seat. As I rolled to a stop at a traffic light not far from our apartment, I looked inside and saw that my phone was blinking - it was the source of the annoying noise.

Huh. I'd never heard my phone's default ringtone before because Jasper programmed a different one for everyone I knew. I turned the phone over, checking the caller ID, but it was definitely not a number I recognized.

I frowned slightly before I decided to take it, flipping the phone open just as traffic started moving again.

"Hello?" I asked, uncertain.

"Hello? Bella?"

Holy. Fuck. I would know that melodic voice anywhere, even though I'd heard it for only one night.

"Edward?" I was embarrassed when I heard how breathless my voice sounded. My heart was pounding, and I felt a little light-headed. It had been four days since I'd last seen him pulling away from my apartment complex, and I had thought of him every day since then. Sometimes it seemed like every moment since then.

"Alice gave me your number…I hope you don't mind," Edward answered.

I felt my cheeks ache and realized I was grinning like a fool. I bit my bottom lip, still lost in the momentary high, but then I heard Edward say, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you."

Shit! I'd been sitting there, not saying anything as I smiled stupidly and reveled in the fact that Edward called me. "Oh, no! You're not bothering me…not at all. I'm glad you called," I admitted.

I could hear a smile in his voice as he said, "Oh good…I was afraid I was interrupting something."

"Nah, I'm just driving home. I had office hours all afternoon. I can't wait to get home and out of these ridiculous clothes," I said, then blushed. Shit, did I just tell him I wanted to get home and get naked?

Edward's musical laugh came through the phone, and I was trying to decide whether or not I should explain when he said, "Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting out of my clothes too. I just left the gym – I was working out with Emmett, and I'm disgusting and sweaty now. I really need a shower." He laughed again, but I barely heard him.

Images of Edward swam in my mind. I remembered the definition of his arms in the snug shirt he'd worn, and I wondered what those arms would look like exposed and glistening with sweat. I imagined the planes of his chest, and for a moment, I pictured his striking face – strong jaw, vibrant green eyes, lips turned up in that seductive little half-smirk. I tried to imagine how his bronze hair would darken when wet with sweat.

I blinked when Edward spoke again, and a wide smile spread across my face when I realized I'd been imagining him…his body, his face…and there was nothing. No panic, no fear.

Of course…you didn't imagine him actually doing anything.

Shut the fuck up. Let me enjoy my little victories, bitch.

Sorry…the voice answered softly.

I tuned it out and concentrated on what Edward was saying.

"So anyway, I was wondering if you might want to get together sometime soon. I really enjoyed watching MST3K with you…and you said something about pod people?"

Did I just imagine the subtle stress on the with you part?

I was too busy dissecting his sentence structure and emphasis, so I was a beat late in answering again. He was going to think I was a fucking idiot.

Probably already does. Of course, you are one.

"Sounds good to me." Heh, understatement?

For the first time ever, I cursed all things WoW. I nearly growled. "Jasper and I have a raid tonight, or I'd invite you over. Why don't you and Alice come over tomorrow night? I'll make lasagna, and we can all watch it together." I was taking the pansy way out. I knew I was. Part of me – a big fucking part - really wanted to be alone with Edward, but…we'd probably both be more comfortable with Alice and Jasper there.

"Oh," he sounded a little disappointed. Didn't he? "That works for me," he finally finished. "Would you like us to bring anything?"

I smiled. "No, I'm good. I love to cook. Just bring yourselves…"

We spoke for a few minutes more, chatting about nothing important. I really didn't want to let him go, but when I pulled up to the apartment, I realized I was probably monopolizing his time. So I told him I'd see him tomorrow night, listened breathlessly for his goodbye, and then hung up, feeling a strange mixture of elation and dejection.

I was still pouting when I got inside, and I was glad Jasper wasn't home yet so I could mope a bit in peace. I lounged around in my room, listening to music and trying to re-read Light in August to be ready for my Faulkner class the next day, but my mind wouldn't focus. Normally, I would've played for awhile, but I wasn't in the mood – and I realized that I was being silly and petulant, not logging on because I was annoyed that I had to wait a full twenty-four hours longer to see Edward because of the game.

I snorted and shook my head at myself, settling on the bed on my stomach and finally managing to get lost in the world of Yoknapatawpha County. I was just getting to the house burning when Jasper stuck his head in my room and called my name to get my attention. I pulled my earbuds from my ears and looked up.

"Hey…did you invite Alice and Edward over tomorrow night?" He grinned at me.

I felt the blush spread across my cheeks and cursed my inability to ever hide my embarrassment. "Yeah, ahh…Edward called today about MST3K, and I thought we could all watch Pod People tomorrow night. I'm making lasagna."

Jasper arched an eyebrow knowingly. "On a school night? I'm shocked, Miss Swan," he teased. I made a face at him and pretended to go back to my book.

I wasn't surprised when I felt him flop onto my bed beside me before he started tickling me mercilessly. I squealed and squirmed and kicked, trying to get away. I was gasping before he finally let me go. I smacked him on the head with my book, and he laughed. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" I asked, trying to hide my grin.

"Nothing, Bells," he smiled, rolling over onto his back and looking up at the ceiling. "I'm just happy."

"Goofball," I rolled my eyes and grinned with him, hearing what he hadn't said. He was happy for me.

"What time is it anyway?" I asked, standing up and tossing my book into the recliner in the corner of my room.

"Six," Jazz answered. "What's for dinner?"

I snorted and shook my head. "It's a good thing you have me, you know. I don't know how you'd survive otherwise. It'd be Ramen noodles and boxed macaroni and cheese."

Jasper just smiled angelically and walked with me into the kitchen. We talked about the upcoming raid, our classes, Alice and Edward coming over – anything, everything, and nothing all at once – while I threw together a quick dinner of orzo with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Jasper sat on the counter, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees except when he grew really animated. He loved to talk with his hands.

When dinner was ready, he fixed a glass of sweet tea for each of us. Sweet tea was one of the few things Jasper knew how to make, and we were both addicted thanks to Mama Hale. We carried everything into the dining room and sat at one end of the table, our conversation flowing uninterrupted. Finally, Jasper leaned back against the back of his chair, rubbing his stomach while I laughed at him. He always ate too much.

He stood and began gathering our plates, looking at me with a twinkle in his eyes. "So…what time are Alice and Edward coming over tomorrow?"

I frowned. "Oh, I don't know…we didn't really get to that part, I guess."

He gave a small chuckle. "Yeah, I know. Edward called Alice all excited, and she got annoyed that he didn't have any details. They'll be here at seven tomorrow night." He grinned and raised both eyebrows.

"Edward was excited?" I asked, and that stupid breathless voice was back again.

"Mmmhmm…" Jasper answered, his blue eyes dancing as he rocked back and forth on his heels like a six year old with a secret.

I smacked his arm and moved into the kitchen, putting our glasses in the sink while he rinsed the plates. I was trying to keep the smile off my face and failing miserably.

We settled into our chairs in the office, logging onto WoW and our voice server, and we spent the next hour or so just playing around with our guildmates. I was leading the raid as usual, so most of my time was taken with inviting people and making sure we had all our roles filled. I ignored most of the playful banter, trying to get things organized, but I was aware of Jasper joining in. Thankfully, he was busy making fun of another guildie, and he left me alone this time.

I answered a few tells about our plans for Thanksgiving from Jake and some of the other guys we'd grown up with and gamed with for years, and then we were finally ready to begin. I was having the hardest time concentrating tonight, and as we made our way to the first boss, my mind kept drifting to a certain pair of beautiful green eyes beneath a shock of bronze-colored hair…

"Fuck!" I yelled as I suddenly snapped out of my reverie when I died.

"Damn, Bells – what happened? A healer fuck up?" Jasper asked, his back to me as he made a futile attempt to vanish out of the wipe that was triggered by my death.

"I don't know," I said honestly, scrolling through my combat log. I frowned at what I read, and then I blushed furiously when I realized I'd just been daydreaming…and it was no one's fault but my own. I sighed and hit my push-to-talk button, addressing the raid, "Sorry, guys…I don't know where my brain was on that one."

They all answered that it was no problem, and Jake sent me a tell asking if everything was alright - I told him I was fine. All the guys were protective, but he was ridiculous with it. Jasper was sitting there staring at his screen, snickering quietly. He'd figured it out. I picked up an empty CD case and threw it at his head, but he knew me too well and ducked before it got there.

Before long, we had everyone resurrected and started again, and I promised myself firmly that I would keep my mind where it belonged – here with the twenty-four other people who were counting on me. But that damn smirk just kept creeping into my thoughts…

----------

When I woke up the next morning, it was with a smile on my face. My eyes opened about ten minutes before my alarm was set to go off, which was unheard of. I always had a hard time sleeping, and I tossed and turned all night.

Not last night.

I rolled onto my back and stared at my ceiling, realizing with a small start that I'd actually dreamt of Edward Cullen last night. It had been nothing big…just him smiling at me from the other end of the couch, but…

But…I had dreamt of a man…and it wasn't the asshole that had starred in my dreams for over half a decade now.

And I hadn't panicked. I had slept right through…and slept quite well, actually.

I turned to muffle a small squeal into my pillow and then rolled back over, pushing myself off the bed and turning my alarm off. I went to my closet and was humming as I picked out my clothes. It helped that I didn't have to teach or hold office hours today, so I was free to wear whatever I wanted.

I hummed in the shower. I hummed while I was getting dressed…while I warmed my bowl of oatmeal and ate…while I made the tiramisu that would be our dessert tonight. I even hummed while I gathered my books and threw them into my messenger bag.

I was still humming when Jasper finally stumbled out of his room, yawning and blinking. I giggled at him and waved, heading out to class a little early.

The day was overcast and gray, but I didn't notice the drizzly cold. I couldn't even tell you what we talked about in class, which was too bad, really – Light in August is fascinating.

Oh well.

I can't say I was disappointed that my thoughts were…elsewhere. It was different and a little strange, but it felt good, too.

When I got home a few hours later, I tossed my bag into my room before changing into my pajamas. I didn't plan to stay in them, but I had some cooking and cleaning to do, and they were always much more comfortable.

Jasper made it home not long after I did, and he put on the Beastie Boys while we straightened the apartment. When it came time to clean the kitchen and start dinner, he grinned at me and waved, the music a little too loud to talk comfortably, before he escaped to the office. Jasper wasn't really allowed to do a lot in the kitchen. It had sort of started when he'd ruined my hand mixer trying to make his own pizza dough – I still don't know quite how he managed to get dough actually up into the motor itself, but he had.

Then his unofficial ban had been confirmed when I'd gone to get a drink one night.

I'd been confused when I stepped into the living room, and my feet squished into the carpet. My confusion grew when I spotted little soap bubbles…following the trail, I came to the kitchen, where I was suddenly up to my knees in foam. We'd run out of soap for the dishwasher, so Jasper had put the regular kitchen-sink kind in. It had taken hours to clean up, especially since we kept throwing piles of suds at each other and giggling like the idiots we are. After that, he tended to stay out of the kitchen and let me handle things there.

Once the lasagna was baking, I headed off for a shower, startled to discover it was already 6:30. I threw my hair up into a bun on top of my head and cleaned quickly. I pulled a deep blue v-neck sweater from my closet, throwing it on with my jeans. Realizing my hair was still a mess, I yanked it down and went back into the bathroom, running a brush through it. I tilted my head and looked at myself in the mirror. It definitely wasn't the same as when Alice dressed me up, but I didn't think I looked too bad - and it was something I was comfortable in.

The Beastie Boys were still playing as I made my way down the hall to check on dinner, though Jasper had turned the music down a good bit. I was singing along as I came around the corner.

"Ad-Rock down with the ione, listen to the shit 'cause both of them is boney, gotta do it like this…" And then I spotted who was standing in my kitchen and froze, my cheeks instantly flaming red as I took in the three amused faces in front of me.

Fuuuuuuuck.

But Edward just grinned and said, "Like Chachi and Joanie?"

And I snickered as we both finished, "'Cause she's the cheese, and I'm the macaroni."

All four of us laughed for a minute, as I felt the heat slowly dissipate though it didn't fade completely. "So umm…yeah, I like the Beasties and hey, Alice, Edward…" I said lamely.

Alice stepped toward me, and we hugged. I was getting used to that. I kept my distance from Edward though, suddenly nervous as I waved to him before sticking my hands in my pockets.

"Can I get you guys something to drink?" I asked finally as I moved to check the lasagna. It was bubbling around the edges, and the cheese was just browning – perfect. I pulled it out and set it on a trivet before putting some breadsticks in to warm. I turned around and leaned against the counter, blushing again when I realized Edward had been watching me.

"I'll take some wine," Alice said before poking Edward, who jumped slightly.

How cute is he?

Jasper moved to the refrigerator, taking out a bottle of wine, and Edward's gaze moved to him. My memory hadn't done his eyes justice. I found myself staring at him, trying to decide exactly what shade they were…

"Maybe a beer?" Edward asked. I grinned at him. A man after my own heart.

Alice asked if she could do anything, and I told her she could help me set the table. I heard Jasper and Edward talking casually while we went into the dining room. On the way, Alice nudged me with her arm and grinned up at me when I frowned at her. She didn't say anything, though, and I kept quiet too, worried about what she would say. I didn't think she'd embarrass me, but…she knew too much.

We set the table in silence, using Jasper's bamboo placemats again. I arched an eyebrow at Alice as she pulled candles from our sideboard, and she smiled innocently. She's tricksy, that one.

The boys came in just as we finished, Edward carrying a wooden tray with the drinks and breadsticks while Jasper brought the lasagna. As we sat and ate, both the conversation and the alcohol flowed freely. I was struck by how natural it all seemed, and that ever-growing ache within me pulsed. I wanted this to be our normal…Edward and Alice having dinner with us, spending our evenings together. But…but…I didn't want it to be exactly like this. I wanted more.

I just had no clue how to get it. I frowned.

Edward and Alice both praised the lasagna, and I grinned broadly. I love it when people appreciate my cooking. Just then, Jasper dropped a big bite down the front of his shirt, cursing as he grabbed his napkin. I laughed and glanced at Alice – I was really happy to see that she was just smiling at Jasper fondly. Jasper and messes go hand-in-hand. It would suck for her not to get that.

I glanced at Edward every few seconds, it seemed, and most of the time, he was glancing at me as well. We started sharing small smiles, and I felt a thrill go through me each time.

Maybe…

Maybe what?

Just…maybe. My inner voice seemed to be shrugging.

Near the end of dinner, Edward asked, "So how did your raid go last night, Bella?" I was beginning to notice that his lips twitched each time he said my name…almost like he was fighting a smile.

I blushed deeply and carefully kept my eyes away from Jasper's face. "It was alright. Kind of rough – we kept wiping." I shrugged, trying to look nonchalant though my mind was acutely aware that the reason we kept wiping was sitting right across from me.

"What does that mean?" Alice chimed.

"It means that the whole group died…or most of it, at least. If just one person dies, it's usually not so bad, but when most of the raid does, well…you have to start over with whatever you're doing." I tried to explain, realizing for the first time how odd all of it sounded to people who didn't play.

"So why did you have so much trouble last night?" Edward asked, and the heat off my cheeks was almost enough to make my eyes water. Jasper snorted, and I frowned at him, but I couldn't make myself say anything.

When I didn't answer, Jasper did. "Our tank was…distracted," he smirked suggestively, "and kept screwing up." I glared at him, and he snickered.

Any hope I had that they would just let it drop was shattered when Edward says, "Who's that?"

I sighed, defeated finally, and stared down at the tablecloth as I admitted meekly, "Me."

Jasper laughed whole-heartedly now, and my head snapped up as I muttered, "Shutthefuckup," and threw my napkin at him. I glanced at Edward and was surprised to see that he looked…frustrated and annoyed. That's the best way I can describe it, but I don't know why he would have been.

Within seconds, his face was smooth again, and the change was so quick that I began to doubt I'd even seen the first expression.

"Jazz, why don't you make yourself useful and go get dessert?" I said, annoyed.

Jasper snickered and laughed harder, but he stood and started clearing our plates. Edward helped him, and I had to smile. My eyes followed him until he disappeared into the kitchen, and I gave a soft sigh. As I glanced back, my eyes met Alice's, and I blushed, but she just smiled gently. I arched an eyebrow, and she mirrored my expression. We sat in silence, staring at each other, but just as I was about to speak, Edward and Jasper returned with the tiramisu.

I don't know why it pleased me so much that Edward was the one to put the plate in front of me, but it gave me a small thrill. It could've been the way his forearm brushed my upper arm or the heat of his body…or maybe that delicious scent – sandalwood and vanilla and something else… - he carried with him wherever he went. I think it was most likely the thoughtfulness of the gesture though – just the simple fact that he was doing something for me.

Alice moaned with her first bite, and I laughed softly. I loved how enthusiastic she was about everything. Jasper and Edward added their praise in words rather than sounds, and I was embarrassed to admit, even to myself, that part of me kind of wanted to hear what Edward's moan would sound like.

What the fuck…? I heard nothing but stunned silence in my head for a moment.

I shrugged both mentally and physically, stifling a giggle as I ate my own tiramisu. But then I noted that my thoughts skirted around the edges of what would cause Edward to moan, carefully not thinking of any of it.

I sighed. My mood, which had been soaring, dropped just as quickly.

Jasper interrupted my darker thoughts, saying, "Hey, Bells, I forgot that I need to help Alice with a paper tonight, so we won't be able to watch the movie with you guys."

I nodded, taking another bite, my mood still spiraling downward. "No problem, Jazz."

I grimaced and pushed my plate away, suddenly not interested in my dessert any more. I was frustrated with my mood swing and decided to try to pull myself out of it, so I teased Alice. "You know, Alice…you can't avoid it forever. Someday soon, I will make you watch one of these with me."

Alice pouted, poking out her lower lip. "I wanted to watch tonight! But this paper has been kicking my ass, and I've been so busy with all the fashion stuff, and now the damn thing is due tomorrow."

Alice had never cursed like that around me. It was mild, really, but something about it struck me as hilarious, and I started giggling stupidly. She huffed and tilted her head, looking at me curiously. It just made me laugh harder, and I shook my head. After a few seconds, I was able to control myself, and the strange fit of depression had lifted.

"That's alright, Tink. You just finish your paper, and I'll corner you soon enough," I winked at her.

I started to stand, and Edward stood as well. A few seconds later, Alice and Jasper joined us. "You guys go ahead," I said. "I'll get the dishes."

"Thanks, Bells," Jasper said, and he ruffled my hair as he passed by me. I muttered and pinched his upper arm as I smoothed my hair again. They walked down the hallway to the office, and both Edward and I watched them go.

When I turned back to him, Edward gave a small, sad smile, and he said, "Thank you for dinner. It was fantastic. Ahh…I can leave, if there's something you'd rather do since Jasper and Alice are busy."

I frowned. Did he want to leave? I didn't think so…but I didn't want him to stay if there was somewhere else he'd rather be. This uncertainty was going to kill me. We needed to get past this shit. But…gah, what if I didn't like what was past it? "Well, I'm spending the next couple of hours watching Pod People. I would…love…for you to join me. That is, unless you don't want to." I ducked my head, studying the floor.

"No," his voice said quietly, and my heart dropped before he continued, "no, I'd love to stay. I just didn't know if you wanted to wait for Alice." That sounded almost like the truth. I wondered if there was something he was holding back.

I lifted my head and grinned at him. "I'll let Jasper show Alice when they aren't so busy all the time," I let a little innuendo creep into my words, and Edward winced. I giggled and nodded my head toward the kitchen. "Just let me take care of these dishes, and I'll be all set."

"I'll help you," he said simply, and my heart melted a little as he walked into the kitchen before me. I wondered idly if he'd noticed that I didn't like people to follow me, and I realized that it didn't bother me if he had. It was…sweet, really.

We made short work of loading the dishwasher, our fingers occasionally brushing as he rinsed and handed the dishes to me while I arranged them on the racks. I blushed each time, and I marveled that something so simple could be so…so…grr. I didn't have a word for it, but I liked it.

I felt a thrill run through me each time we touched, and I tried like hell to figure out if it was excitement or fear. I think, though, that there was nothing of fear in it. The way it left my heart pounding was exhilarating rather than exhausting.

As we finished, I offered him another beer, and we took our drinks into the living room, settling on the couch just as we had four days ago. This time, though, I began with my legs stretched out the way I normally set, and the bottoms of my feet brushed against his thigh. On Saturday, I'd ended up this way when my muscles started cramping, but honestly, I just really liked the way it felt. Still…I didn't know what Edward thought of it, so I glanced at him before I started the movie and said, "Do you mind?"

A smile ghosted across his lips, and he glanced at me, saying, "Not in the least bit." His tone carried something I didn't recognize, and I was frustrated that I didn't feel comfortable enough yet to just ask him what he meant. He turned his eyes back to the TV though nothing was playing yet, and he took a long sip of his beer. I got lost for a moment in the way his Adam's apple bobbed when he swallowed.

I quickly shook myself, feeling yet again the tell-tale heat on my cheeks, as I flipped through the DVD's menu to start Pod People.

It was one of my favorites, and I knew I was right to make Edward watch it as he started laughing during the opening when Crow said, "It was a dark and stormy night. I'd taken a creative writing class." I giggled and focused on the screen, trying to keep my attention there, though I got rather good at peeking at Edward in my peripheral vision. His right hand twitched occasionally, and once or twice, I saw him make a fist. It didn't seem to be in reaction to what we were watching, so I couldn't quite figure out why.

I froze a little while later when I felt something settle on my shin. I looked over at Edward, and he was looking back at me. His chin was lowered, and he was peering up at me through his lashes with a shy smile. His green eyes smoldered as he whispered, "Do you mind?"

I was stunned by his expression and the depths of his eyes. My mind went blank, and all I could do was stare. I felt dazed. He is so beautiful…

Suddenly, he blushed in the flickering light from the TV screen and whispered, "Sorry…" as he started to move his hand. Without thinking, I reached over and stopped him, placing my hand on his.

Now it was my turn to blush, but I left my hand for a moment longer and said, "No, it's fine…it's…nice," I bit my bottom lip and glanced down, my heart fluttering as embarrassment and excitement warred in my chest.

Edward simply smiled and focused his attention back on the screen, giving my shin a tiny squeeze as I removed my hand and settled back into my seat. If I'd thought my heart was racing before, that was nothing compared to its activity now. I could feel the heat of his palm through my jeans, and the distraction was such that I really didn't catch anything else in the movie for awhile. I wasn't complaining. I owned the DVD, after all – I could watch it whenever I wanted. That inane thought made me snort out loud, and Edward smiled at me, amused.

This was all just so new to me. I felt incredibly confused and elated and nervous and distraught and just…happy. No one had ever brought out this sort of reaction in me. Not even before…

Fuck no. That door stays closed tonight.

Yeah, just enjoy this.

Good to know my voices were in agreement again.

Just as Trumpy was examining the "little winged potato," and I was giggling – that shit always made me laugh – I felt Edward's thumb caress my shin, and I bit my bottom lip. I was watching him out of the corner of my eye, and it was funny how we both kept our eyes on the screen. I wondered if he was paying any more attention than I was.

Suddenly, I jumped when my phone buzzed in my pocket, and then I had to laugh at myself. I swung my feet around to the floor and stood, retrieving my phone. I saw that I had a text from Embry, so I said, "Sorry, one sec?" to Edward and flipped it open.

It's official – we're all coming the first half of Thanksgiving week.

I squealed and dashed toward the hall just in time to see Jasper dart out of the office. "You got it too?!" we said at the same time. Then we both nodded and closed the distance, hugging and squealing and generally being silly little girls.

When we finally calmed down, I realized that Edward was watching from the couch and Alice was standing in the doorway to the office, both wearing the same amused, slightly confused expression. I giggled and held my phone up. "That was our friend, Embry," I said. "We all grew up together and have been part of the same gaming group for umm…how many years now, Jazz?"

He thought for a moment, "Wow, I guess ten…"

"Anyway, our guys are coming up for the first part of Thanksgiving week." I gave a small squeal again, unable to help myself. Then I frowned. "Hey wait…he said they're all coming…you don't thnk…?" I trailed off, grimacing.

"Be nice, Bells. She's part of the group too," Jasper said.

I rolled my eyes at him. I muttered, "You mean she's done the group…" Jasper tickled me.

I made a face but couldn't suppress my grin any longer. "I guess this means I have lots of planning to do!" I rubbed my hands together gleefully. "I wonder how I can kill you guys this time…" I tapped my chin with my forefinger in mock thought.

Jasper smirked at me. "Oh, I'm sure you can handle it…" He ran his fingers through his hair and said, "Come on, Alice, let's get back to that paper." He turned to her in the doorway and kissed her gently before they went back inside.

I returned to the couch, noting that Edward had paused the movie when I'd jumped up. "Oh, thanks…" I smiled at him. "Sorry about that. It's been awhile since we last saw them."

"No problem," Edward said, giving me a small smile, though I noticed his eyes were tight. I started to ask him what was wrong, but he started the movie again as I sat back, stretching my legs once more. I was happy that he didn't hesitate this time. He just rested his hand on my shin, and I decided to forget about his reaction…for now.

At first, Edward seemed tense, and he wasn't even smiling as he watched. Gradually, though, he relaxed, and soon he was enjoying himself as much as he had before the text. I wondered what his tension was about, but I wasn't sure how to ask him.

By the time the movie ended, we were both smiling and laughing freely again. Edward had been caressing my shin more often, and he seemed oblivious to it most of the time. His green eyes would be completely focused on Trumpy and Tommy, but his thumb would make small, light circles on the fabric of my jeans.

I turned off the TV, and we looked at each other in the dim light. I really didn't want him to leave, but it was getting late, and I was pretty sure we both had school tomorrow. I bit my bottom lip to hide a frown.

Edward asked, "So how often do you and Jasper play WoW?" It seemed like an odd question, considering we hadn't talked about that for a couple of hours.

Maybe he doesn't want to leave either?

Hmm…maybe…

My voices were getting along entirely too well tonight.

"Well, I used to play every day, but with grad school, it's less now. We have standing raids on Wednesdays, Sundays, and Mondays but sometimes we add others in between," I paused for a minute, debating. "Have you ever seen it?"

"WoW? No, not really. I mean, the commercials, of course, but I've never really seen anyone play it." He shrugged. "Do you think I could watch you sometime?" He glanced away as he asked, as if he were unsure of my reaction.

I smiled. "Sure…but I'm not very good company when I play, especially if I'm leading. You might want to bring a book," I teased him.

"Oh, I'm pretty sure I would have plenty to watch," he answered with a smirk.

Umm…wait, is he talking about watching me or the game?

I don't know…fuck.

Must be the game. I mean…right?

I sighed softly before I could stop myself. Edward gave my shin a final gentle squeeze and stood. "I should probably be getting home," he said. "Ali said Jasper would take her home when they're done. I'm sure you probably have class tomorrow, right?" He sounded despondent.

"Yeah, unfortunately. I have to teach at 9:00. What about you?" I was curious about his schedule. I knew he was in med school, and apparently he worked out with a guy named Emmett, but that was about it.

Edward nodded. "I have classes in the morning on Fridays. It sucks." He shrugged. "So…would it be alright if I came over on Sunday for your raid?"

"Absolutely," I answered with a smile before he turned and led the way to the door. I walked with him, leaning against the door frame when he stepped through. My breath caught when he turned around and gazed down at me, an intense look in his eyes. I was frozen as he lifted his hand slowly, and the air between us charged with an unseen electricity.

I watched his hand make its agonizingly slow journey upward. His fingertips trembled lightly before he finally reached out, carefully brushing the back of his fingers against my cheek. "I'll see you Sunday," he whispered. "Sweet dreams, Bella." His lips twitched and then curved into a smile as he lowered his hand.

I watched him mutely, my eyes wide and a smile on my face, as he got into his car and drove away.

No comments:

Post a Comment