Saturday, April 10, 2010

JOotG Chapter 26 - Please Please Please

EPOV

I carefully placed Bella's suitcase in the trunk of my car, moving it down beside mine so they wouldn't be jostled during our trip. I reached up to close the trunk when Emmett suddenly shouldered me out of the way, unceremoniously dropped his backpack on top, and slammed the lid.

"You ready to go, fucker?" He grinned at me.

"What the hell are you doing? Why don't you just put that in Rosalie's car?"

"Because," he said, as if that answered everything. When I just stared at him in confusion, he winked at me and stepped closer, running his fingers up my arm. "We have a hot date with Jasper."

I took a step back, laughing as I punched him in the shoulder. "What are you talking about?"

He shrugged. "Rosalie's idea. She decided the girls were all riding together, so that leaves you, me, Jasper, and a hot date in your sexy Volvo." He snickered.

I rolled my eyes and then glanced across the lot at Rosalie. She was slamming the trunk of her car and didn't see me frowning at her. "But why? We don't have a lot of time left before Alice and I have to go to Chicago…" I heard the whine in my voice, and this time the eye roll was mental as even I recognized how ridiculous I was being.

Emmett snorted at me and shrugged. "Fuck if I know. You're welcome to go fight it out with Rosie if you want." The gleam in his eyes was not reassuring.

Jasper ambled up then, a smirk on his face as he caught the tail-end of the conversation. "Yeah, I wouldn't try it."

"Why not?" Something about the way the two of them were talking had my back up, and I realized I was standing straighter in a stupid attempt to show I wasn't afraid of Rosalie. I relaxed, my shoulders lowering slightly.

"Because Rosalie always gets her fucking way," Jasper said nonchalantly. "She's been bossing me around since we were in the womb. She's a pain in the ass to deal with, so I only bother when it's something that matters."

The front door opened, and Bella emerged. She was freshly showered, her cheeks a light pink as she stepped out into the sunlight. She locked the door, pocketed her key, and immediately turned toward my car, but before she could walk over to me, Rosalie grabbed her by the elbow and started dragging her away. The look of disappointment and annoyance on her face was enough to make me smile.

When she stumbled over her own feet, I muttered to myself, but Rosalie clearly knew Bella well and just helped guide her to the car. She turned around, pouting at me from across the lot, and I grinned at her as I waved before opening my door and getting in.

Bella fucking loves me.

Still made no sense, but everything she did made it so obvious.

I was smiling and humming to myself as I sat behind the wheel, waiting for the other two to get in the car. The doors opened, and Jasper sat beside me in the passenger seat while Emmett was in the back. It didn't take two seconds, though, before Emmett was complaining like the whiny bitch he is that he didn't have enough room. He and Jasper argued for a minute about who was taller before Emmett said it didn't matter because he was bigger.

I just tried to tune them out. I rested my forehead against the steering wheel, waiting for the two of them to switch places and get settled in.

This is going to be a long fucking drive.

And Emmett and Rosalie are going to have a hell of a time together. Neither one of them can stand to not get their way.

The last thought brought a smirk to my lips, and I lifted my head as I finally heard both doors close. Their seat belts were clicking into place when I checked my mirrors and saw that Rosalie was waiting behind me. I backed out and set off down the street, fiddling with the stereo to find something – anything – good and not really paying any attention to the conversation around me.

I gave up, plugging in my iPod and putting it on shuffle just as I heard Emmett muse, "I wonder why Rosie wanted to ride with the girls."

Jasper snorted. I glanced at him in the rear-view mirror, and he said, "Jesus, you two really are new at this, aren't you?" He shrugged. "Girls just do that shit. They have to bond." He made a face and chuckled as he relaxed against the seat back.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Emmett frown, his brow furrowing in concentration. "What the hell are they talking about then?"

"Us." Jasper and I both answered at the same time, and I smiled as I glanced back at the car in my rear-view mirror. Bella was sitting in the backseat, leaning forward, and I could see her head between the two front seats. I couldn't see her expression because of the glint of sunlight off the windshield, but she seemed to be talking animatedly, using her hands.

It was quiet in the car again until Emmett demanded, "Well, what the hell are they saying?"

Jasper chuckled. "Dude, I don't know. I don't think Rose really thought about that part. If Alice says anything about umm…well, things with me, Bella and Rose will both freak out."

I frowned, and my voice was quiet when I spoke. "There better not be much to tell."

He gave me a knowing grin in the mirror, and I shook my head with a rueful smile.

Bet he thinks that shit about me and Bella, too.

Emmett decided, "I bet they're talking about me."

I laughed. "What makes you think that?"

"Well," he began, "I'm not anyone's brother. So I'm the safest subject." The shit-eating grin on his face told me he was more than happy with this revelation.

"You say one word about my sister…" Jasper let his voice trail off, leaving the threat hanging in the air.

Silence descended on the car again, the only sounds those of the Doors playing quietly from my stereo. Yet again, Emmett was the one to break it. "I bet she's telling them about-"

Jasper held up one finger. "One goddamn word."

Emmett continued smoothly, "…about what a gentleman I am."

I snorted and then laughed outright before Emmett reached over and smacked the back of my head, making me pitch forward as he said, "Hey, fuck you! I am!"

When I just kept laughing, shaking my head, he said, "I can't help it if the woman I've been looking for came along a lot sooner than yours. You're just jealous." His voice was both petulant and taunting.

Thinking about Bella, though – the woman I had spent so long searching for – just brought a content smile to my lips as I answered. "Nah…I'm just glad I finally did meet her…"

You know you sound completely whipped, right?

Yup. And I don't fucking care.

I heard a mental sigh.

"What are you talking about?" Jasper's voice from the backseat was quiet and confused.

I glanced into the mirror, catching his eye as I said, "It's ahh…it's been awhile since I…dated anyone."

Emmett said, "Awhile," and snorted, shaking his head. "More like you've been living like a damn monk for the past two years."

I chuckled, shrugging and thinking to myself, Except I don't think a monk's religion is supposed to include self-worship several times a day.

"Except I don't think monks jack off so much that their dicks are calloused." Emmett's words were an eerie echo of my thoughts that made my eyes widen.

"For fuck's sake, Emmett!" My voice was louder than I anticipated. "You have no filter at all. And how the fuck would you know anything about that anyway?"

"I watched a Discovery channel special on monks," he said matter-of-factly. "Not once did they mention any sort of religious ceremony involving masturbation."

Jasper burst out laughing as I said, "You know that's not what I meant, dickhead." There was no sense in trying to talk to Emmett when he was in this sort of mood – and honestly, there was no use denying it anyway. Too goddamn true. Except… "And my fucking dick's not calloused, asswipe." I punched him on the shoulder as hard as I could, right on the join of the bones, and he crumpled, rubbing his shoulder with his hand as he cursed at me.

When I looked at Jasper in the mirror, he had tears at the corners of his eyes, and his face was red. He was wearing a wide grin that he was trying to control, but he kept snickering, and I caught the word "calloused" a few times. I just gave a laugh of my own and shook my head.

Fucking Emmett.

He loved the reaction his comment got from Jasper, so he just kept going, having fun at my expense for awhile longer. I stopped responding, knowing that was the best way to shut him down, and just lost myself in the music as I turned the rest of my attention to the road.

After awhile, Jasper's amused voice cut through my thoughts. "You and Bella must have quite the fucking concert when you're together."

"Hmm?" I asked, my brow furrowing as I glanced at him in the mirror.

He smirked in response. "You both just sing all the damn time…do you harmonize?" He grinned at me, raising an eyebrow.

Huh. I hadn't even realized I had been singing. "Oh, sorry about that. Yeah, I guess we do sing together a lot. I hadn't really noticed…but no, we haven't started harmonizing." I smirked. "Yet."

Emmett interrupted, asking, "What the hell is this whiny bullshit anyway?"

I listened for a minute, catching Morrissey's voice as he sang, "Good times for a change…see, the luck I've had can make a good man turn bad…"

And then what Emmett said struck me.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I was incredulous. "You don't know the Smiths?"

He just stared at me blankly.

Jasper's voice was disbelieving when he said, "You've never heard of the Smiths?" Emmett shook his head. "You've never heard this song?"

Emmett said, "Nope."

Jasper's eyes looked like they were about to bug out of his head, and he leaned forward, pulling himself up by Emmett's seat as he launched into a heated lecture about the Smiths and their influence. Emmett looked mildly amused, and he kept glancing at me. I just smiled, keeping my eyes on the road.

At least Jasper has good taste in music.

The car grew too quiet, and when I looked over, Emmett had headphones on. The wrinkles in his forehead were deep as he frowned in concentration, listening carefully. "What's he listening to?" I asked.

Jasper smirked. "The Cranberries."

Then Emmett's expression changed, and he said loudly, "I know this one!" He pulled one of the ear pieces away and sang in a trembling, breathless voice that sounded nearly like a sob, "You're so fucking special. I wish I was special, but I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo." He snickered and tossed the iPod and headphones back to Jasper. "This must be your 'I got sand in my vagina' playlist. How the hell do you guys listen to that shit?"

Jasper just rolled his eyes with a sigh, muttering, "God, you sound just like Rosie."

Emmett's eyes lit up as he grinned. I caught Jasper's eye in the rear-view mirror and shook my head minutely, Don't get him started. Jasper inclined his head with a grin and settled back in his seat as I said, "Here, Em." I flipped through my iPod until the song I was looking for played.

"Hell. Fuck. Yes," said Emmett. As soon as B-Real's voice came over the speakers, Emmett was 'singing' at the top of his lungs, "Comin' outta tha slums; it's da hoodlums. I'm pullin' my gat out on all you bums." He was dancing – if you could call it that – imitating Sen Dog with his arm flailing while Jasper watched in amusement.

"Shit…between Rose's obsession with goddamn '80s hair bands and his umm…skills…they ought to make an interesting pair."

I chuckled and nodded, singing along with Emmett under my breath. "This is part of the playlist I run to." I shrugged. "I love this shit, too."

From there, Jasper and I talked about music – he seemed to have a wide variety of favorites as well – while Emmett serenaded us as only he could. Eventually, he wore himself out and turned the music down, looking at us both with a serious expression. I had an amused smile on my face when I took in the fact that Emmett had been singing and dancing with so much enthusiasm that he'd actually worked up a sweat.

That smile faded as soon as he said, "So. Jake."

Those two words were all it took to completely shift the mood in the car. No one said anything for a minute before finally Jasper sighed. "I can't believe he fucking said that."

"Which part?" Em asked.

We both looked over at him, and I asked if Bella had filled him in on what happened. He shook his head and said, "She didn't have to, dude. They were goddamn yelling at each other. It was insane. The first thing I heard was-"

"Wait," Jasper interrupted. "He was yelling at her?" Incredibly, I heard that possessive edge back in his voice, and I frowned at him in the mirror. His attention was focused on Emmett, though, and he didn't notice.

"Yeah, man. I didn't know what it was at first, but they just kept getting louder, and then I heard him ask her if any of it was real, or if it was just an excuse to keep guys away, and-"

This time, I interrupted him. "He. Said. What?" My jaw was clenched, so the words came out as a hiss.

Jasper's voice tumbled over mine, "Are you fucking serious?" His eyes were wide with disbelief, his tone angry.

"Yes. Fuckers. Obviously Bella must've left some stuff out. Now do you want to hear this shit or not?"

We both said we did and settled back, listening as Emmett described in detail what he'd heard. At first, I was frustrated, realizing how much Bella had skipped over when we talked. But when Emmett described how Bella had tried to interrupt Jake and how he kept just talking right over her, my rage for Jake took over, and my knuckles were soon white as I gripped the steering wheel.

"And then she told him he better not try to make her feel guilty because she's been miserable for seven years, and she sounded like she was breaking down, so that's when I went in." With barely a pause, Emmett finished recounting what took place between Bella and Jake and then said, "So where does this asshole live? It's near Forks, right?"

"Yeah, about half an hour or so…" Jasper seemed distracted, frowning as he stared ahead.

"Alright," Emmett said, "so let's go talk to him after the girls go to sleep tonight." There was no hesitation in his voice, and I was nodding along, my rage burning a hole in my chest.

How dare that asshole imply she made it up?

I'd known Bella for only a few weeks…and he'd known her nearly her whole life. If I could see the truth of how the attack affected her, surely he had to.

And why the fuck did Bella keep that from me?

Had she been afraid I'd find him and kick his ass?

Goddamn right I will.

Bile rose in my throat as I thought about her protecting him when he'd been so cold to her. I was vaguely aware of Jasper ranting over the buzzing in my ears, and I could see Emmett nodding his agreement from the corner of my eye. I swallowed and cleared my throat, and the sounds around me became a little clearer. I listened to the heated voices and the stereo singing, "Didn't have to blast him but I did anyway. That young punk had to pay."

"Just tell me where he lives. We'll take care of this right fucking now." I spoke before I realized it, my voice low and menacing even to my ears as I apparently took the song as a sign.

"Hell yes," agreed Emmett.

I expected immediate agreement from Jasper as well, but when I was met with silence, I glanced at him in the rear-view mirror and saw his lips pursed thoughtfully. "You know…" he began. "There's something really fucking wrong with this situation. I'm the last one that should have to say this, but we can't just go beat the hell out of him."

My eyes flew open wide. "What the fuck do you mean you're the last one?" I'd passed the point of reason, and Jasper's implication that somehow he cared more about Bella just made me snap.

"What do I mean?" Jasper yelled right back at me. His face was red, and he opened his mouth to continue his tirade when he was interrupted.

"Oh, for fuck's sake." Emmett scrubbed both hands across his face. "Give it a rest, will you? Tell you what. Both of you, just go ahead and unzip your pants."

Strangely, my anger began to dissipate as I exchanged a confused look in the mirror with Jasper, whose mouth snapped shut as his brow furrowed. "What the hell…?" he asked.

"Well, I thought you two already settled all this who-loves-Bella-more bullshit, so this has got to be about something else. Obviously mine's the biggest, but take your pants off, and I'll tell you which one of you has a bigger dick."

Silence hung heavy in the car other than the steady beat from the stereo until I finally snorted and shook my head.

Hate it when that asshole is right.

"You are one sick fuck. You know that, right?"

At Jasper's question, Emmett just glanced over his shoulder and grinned, shrugging. "Maybe. But now that I have your attention…" He rolled his eyes and then looked back out at the road, cracking his knuckles. "Why, exactly, can't we go pay Jake a visit?"

"Well, as tempting as it is…and believe me, it's extremely fucking tempting, I think we should probably talk to Bella first. I want to know why she didn't tell us what he said, but I can think of a few possibilities, and I don't like any of them." I saw him frown before he continued. "Second, it doesn't matter who cares about Bella more-" He hit the back of my seat and flashed me a small, apologetic smirk in the mirror. "If we're both in jail for assault when she needs someone to talk to."

"And finally…" His voice had taken on an odd, teasing tone. "I really don't think you want the first time you meet Charlie to be when he arrests you for beating the shit out of his best friend's kid."

Charlie. Shit.

I swallowed and turned my eyes back to the road. Somehow in all the excitement and stress of the last few days, it had never really occurred to me that I was on my way to meet Bella's father. It had been an extremely long time since I'd had to meet the parents, and I suddenly felt apprehensive. I flexed my fingers on the steering wheel, trying my best to hide my nerves.

Jasper snickered and clapped me on the shoulder, saying, "Don't worry, man. Charlie trusts my judgment when it comes to Bella." When I glanced at the rear-view mirror to check the road behind me, he caught my gaze, and I saw the mischievous grin on his lips. "It's my mom you have to worry about. Both of you." His smile widened when Emmett turned around to frown at him.

The rest of the trip seemed to pass all too quickly now that I was reminded of what waited for me at the other end. Bella always spoke in glowing terms about Jasper's mother, and even though she hadn't said as much, I knew it was extremely important to her that Mrs. Hale approve of me.

Shit.

I didn't think there was any reason she wouldn't, necessarily, but that didn't stop me from tapping my thumbs nervously on the steering wheel as I drove and listened to Jasper and Emmett talk about nothing of importance.

Before I was ready, we were pulling into the Hales' long driveway and parking. Their house was set about a quarter of a mile off a small road, and the surrounding woods ensured that a quiet atmosphere blanketed the area. The house was fairly typical for small town Washington, but there were subtle touches that made it seem as though it had been transplanted from somewhere in the South. There was a wraparound covered porch complete with white wooden rockers, but I couldn't see much more in the dim light of the moon after I turned off my headlights.

We all three got out, groaning and stretching after being cramped in the car for a few hours. I expected to see Bella and the other girls coming to meet us, but they were still in Rosalie's car. She'd turned the headlights off, and we could just see their silhouettes in the light from the dashboard and the moon.

I chuckled as I leaned back against my trunk, crossing my arms over my chest. Jasper and Emmett came to stand beside me, and when I glanced at them, I saw stupid, happy smiles on their faces as they watched the girls. I followed their gaze to see that the three of them were dancing in their seats, hair and arms flying. Rosalie looked to be playing air guitar, and I listened to see if I could tell what song they were singing.

"'Talk Dirty to Me'?" Emmett asked.

"Yup," said Jasper with a laugh.

Emmett muttered, "And I so will…" under his breath. Jasper reached out automatically and hit him, but they both still had those silly grins. I realized the same one was on my face and rolled my eyes.

These girls fucking own us.

And I was strangely okay with that.

Finally, Rosalie turned the engine off, and the girls came falling out. They were giggling and silly, and the expression of genuine happiness Bella was wearing was utterly beautiful. I couldn't wait to hold her, so I pushed away from the car and started walking toward her.

Just before I got to her, though, the front door opened and light flooded the driveway, making me blink and squint. I turned to look and caught my first sight of what could only be Jasper and Rosalie's parents.

I didn't get a good look at them as I glanced over my shoulder, but it was enough to let me see that Mr. Hale looked eerily like Jasper with shorter, neater hair. He had his hand on his wife's lower back, and they just looked very…comfortable together. Mrs. Hale had a quieter version of Rosalie's beauty, softened by age and a kind smile. I knew I should probably go onto the porch and introduce myself, but my feet carried me straight to Bella.

When I reached her, she smiled up at me, and I pulled her into my arms, kissing her gently. I did at least have the presence of mind to keep our kiss light and pull back after a few seconds. All I wanted to do was scoop her up, find a quiet place where we could be alone, and spend the next few hours kissing her and touching her and feeling her against me.

And to think that, just yesterday, I'd taken her home early.

You really are a fucking moron.

Yup, I was.

When we parted, I looked down at Bella, who was smiling brightly up at me. "Ready to go meet Mama and Papa Hale?"

With a weird flutter of nerves in my gut, I nodded and took her hand. She hung back until the other four had all gone up the stairs before she tugged on my hand, and we started walking slowly. I watched as both Emmett and Alice met the Hales – Emmett, of course, was boisterous and loud, wrapping up Mrs. Hale in a hug before he shook Mr. Hale's hand and clapped him on the shoulder. Alice looked tiny as she hugged both of Jasper's parents, and she was talking so quickly that I had trouble catching anything.

Bella timed it so the others were disappearing inside before we walked up the steps together. Her hand was gripping mine tightly, making me realize that she was nervous as well.

Shit.

My mouth suddenly felt as if it was filled with cotton, and I was aware that my palms were clammy. Perfect.

But she was all smiles as she stepped onto the porch before me, dropping my hand to wrap her arms around Mrs. Hale's waist. She rested her head on the older woman's shoulder, and their heads were nestled together in a way that reminded me intensely of a mother holding a young child. Nearly as quickly as the thought entered my mind, though, they parted, and Bella stepped to Mr. Hale, lifting on her toes to kiss his cheek as they hugged. He kissed her forehead before he left her go, both of them smiling quietly as he said, "Welcome home, Bella-boo."

Bella returned to my side and with a proud smile said, "Mama and Papa Hale, I want you to meet my boyfriend, Edward…"

As always, hearing her call me her boyfriend put that goofy grin on my face, so as I stretched out my hand to shake Mr. Hale's, I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot – a happy idiot, though. He shook my hand with a smile, and then I turned to Mrs. Hale…and was completely enveloped in a tight hug. She patted my back and said softly, "Welcome to our home, Edward. I can't tell you how happy we are to meet you."

I could feel my cheeks heat as I pulled away and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Hale," wondering all the while why I was turning into a total tool. I had never felt so…awkward…meeting anyone.

Mrs. Hale smiled kindly and waved her hand. "Oh please, dear. Mrs. Hale was my mother-in-law, God rest her soul. Call me Mama Hale…Caroline, if you must."

I glanced down at the floorboards and then back up at her, a smile forming on my lips as I suddenly felt more comfortable and at ease. "Thank you for inviting me, Caroline." Her name felt familiar for some reason.

With a flutter of her hands and an exclamation about getting us in out of the cold, Caroline ushered us inside and to a sitting room, where the other four were already lounging. Bella and I settled onto a love seat together while the elder Hales told us to make ourselves at home and that they would be right back with coffee and dessert.

Caroline looked at Bella and said, "I have some hot chocolate for you, dear," with a smile that seemed to warm the room. "Would anyone else prefer hot chocolate instead?"

We all assured her that we were fine with coffee. As she turned to leave, Jasper picked up the remote control for the TV, and his mother plucked it out of his hand, putting it back on the coffee table. "You have guests, Jasper," she scolded. "Where are your manners? Why don't you go bring in the luggage while they rest?"

Emmett's wide grin was mischievous, but he had the good sense to wait until Caroline and Mr. Hale – only then did I realize that I had no clue what his first name was - were out of earshot before he said, "I could get used to this…" and put his feet up on the coffee table in front of him.

Rosalie elbowed him in the ribs and said, "Just for that, you can go help him."

I was surprised when Emmett laughed and said, "I was planning to." He kissed Rosalie's cheek and stood, clapping Jasper hard on the back.

As they were making their way out of the room, I started to stand, but Bella pulled on my arm and murmured, "Stay? Please?"

I glanced at her curiously, but she just shrugged and gave me a small smile, biting her bottom lip. I relaxed against her again, putting my arm around her shoulders, and she drew her legs up beside her, leaning into me. We sat in silence as Rosalie and Alice talked about their favorite Thanksgiving dishes, just idle chatter. I smiled at how comfortable the two of them were together, glad that Alice had two great friends in Rosalie and Bella.

When I kissed the top of Bella's head, she lifted it and kissed my ear before whispering, "Sorry. I don't mean to be so…clingy. I just…I've never had anyone here with me when Jasper and Rose did. I…I know it's stupid, but I really didn't want to be alone again…"

I had to swallow against the lump in my throat as I thought about her sitting in this room, all alone, while everyone around her was paired up. I squeezed her shoulders, running my fingertips up and down her arm. It took a moment before I was able to whisper back, "I'm not going anywhere, Bella. I promise."

Alice and Rosalie tried to draw her into conversation, but she gave short answers and seemed distracted. I hated that she was feeling down at all, especially when there was nothing we could do to change the past – and I meant it when I said I wasn't going anywhere. So instead, I tried to take her mind off it. I leaned down, murmuring the first question that came to mind, "Hey…what's Jasper's dad's name?"

To my surprise, Bella snorted out loud. Rosalie and Alice both glanced over at us, and Bella coughed, trying to hide it. The other girls clearly didn't believe her, but they both grinned and returned to their conversation, studiously ignoring us.

Bella pulled on my shirt, and I ducked down close to her again, feeling her warm breath tickling my ear as she whispered, "Chet. Short for Chester. Jasper used to get really fucking pissed off and say that with a name like that, you'd think his dad would have known better than to name him something as weird as Jasper."

I chuckled with her, and her melancholy mood seemed to have lifted. The four of us talked as Jasper and Emmett made a few trips in from the car. Emmett flipped me off as he passed by the open doorway dragging my suitcase, making me smirk in response.

The guys met Caroline and Chet as they were all coming into the room. Emmett reached out, saying, "Here, let me take that," as he took the tray of dessert plates from Caroline. Chet smiled quietly while Caroline raved about what a sweet boy Emmett was, and he beamed like a five-year-old.

Oh yeah. He's going to be hearing about that shit.

Cheesecake and coffee were passed around, as was Bella's mug of hot chocolate piled high with mini marshmallows. She grinned at Caroline and thanked her before she plucked one of the marshmallows out and popped it in her mouth. It was already dissolving into the chocolate, getting the tip of her finger sticky, and when she slipped it between her lips to lick it off, I turned my eyes away. I was frustrated with the knowledge that – unless there was some cosmic aligning of the planets – we weren't going to have so much as a minute alone again until I got back from Chicago.

Never had I been so reluctant to go home.

We all chatted comfortably, with Caroline leading the conversation to include all of us. She reminded me of my mom in a lot of ways – consummate hostess who knew how to draw people out and get them talking. Everything was kept on the surface, though, and from the glances I saw her shooting our way occasionally, I thought there might be a deeper conversation coming before this trip was over. But there was always a smile on her lips and in her eyes when she looked at Bella relaxing under my arm, so I wasn't too afraid.

Not really.

Alright, so I was nervous as hell, but there wasn't much to be done about it. Instead, I just complimented her on the cheesecake – which really was fucking awesome – and answered her questions about med school and my parents. When she found out I played the piano, her smile brightened, and she said, "Oh! You'll have to play for us before you go…we bought one when Jasper and Rosalie were young, but they both decided their lessons were too hard." She shot a pointed look at her children before turning back to me. "It's so nice to see a young man stick with such a difficult instrument!"

I realized I was sitting straighter and had that same fucking beaming smile on my face that Emmett had been wearing.

So much for giving him a hard time.

My cheeks heated, but I didn't change my expression as I thanked Caroline. I said, "I'm really out of practice, though. I don't have a piano in Seattle, so the only time I get to play anymore is at my parents' when we visit them."

Caroline waved her hand dismissively, telling me she was sure I would be brilliant, and that it would be wonderful to have live music in the house after Thanksgiving dinner. I shifted in my seat, trying to control my smile, but it wasn't happening. Instead, I just avoided looking at Emmett until I realized he was doing the same thing with me thanks to the compliments she had paid him.

As we talked, Bella settled against me and grew still. Her mug of hot chocolate sat on a coaster, half-full, and I smiled when I realized she'd eaten all the marshmallows but barely touched the drink. Her breathing was slow and regular, so I glanced down to find that she'd fallen asleep against me. Her lips were slightly parted, her hair falling across her face. I brushed it away and kissed her forehead, instinctively lowering my voice so I wouldn't wake her.

After about another half hour of conversation, Bella was completely out, and her head started slipping from my shoulder to my chest. I turned sideways a bit, gathering her closer to me, as I said quietly, "I think it's probably time for Bella to go to bed. Where's she sleeping?"

Caroline looked at me shrewdly for a moment, making me somehow feel like I was four years old and had been caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Finally, she smiled again and said, "Jasper will show you, dear." She stood, gathering plates from around the room and putting them on the tray. Alice hopped up to help her, leaving Rosalie and Emmett carrying on a lively conversation with Mr. Hale – I was having a hard time thinking of him as Chet - about what type of car Rose and her father should rebuild next. It was apparently a hobby they enjoyed together, but they were between cars at the moment.

I moved toward the edge of the couch, shifting Bella carefully so as not to wake her too much. I brushed back her hair, whispering, "Bella? Come on, love…let's get you to bed." She half-moaned, half-mumbled, and frowned at me without opening her eyes. With a sigh, I stood, pulling her with me as I wrapped my arm tightly around her waist. We walked awkwardly, Bella's feet dragging the ground as she stumbled forward and I tried my best to guide her.

Jasper led the way, chuckling, while I glared at his back. When Bella stumbled – again – and nearly pulled me down with her, I bent down and picked her up, cradling her against my chest. She slipped her arm around my waist, and I felt her hand tighten on the fabric of my shirt as she nuzzled her face into my neck.

We past several closed doors, and he stopped at the last one on the left. He turned, arching an eyebrow when he saw me holding Bella; then he opened the door, reached in to flip on the light, and looked back at me. His expression seemed torn for a moment as he glanced between the empty bedroom and the two of us a few times. Finally, he sighed and lowered his voice, his eyes shifting from left to right like an informant in an old film noir. He looked at me pointedly as he said, "Alright, I'll wait out here while you help her get into bed."

My eyes widened, but I quickly nodded. I started through the door, but he stopped me with a hand on my arm as he threatened, "But I swear to God if you tell my mom I did this…"

I was chuckling quietly when I heard the door click shut behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to see that he actually had closed us in alone and smiled to myself. Walking over to the bed, I sat Bella down carefully, and she immediately just rolled onto her side and pulled her feet up, shoes and all. She was still in her jeans – there was no way she would be comfortable that way. I sighed.

Her suitcase was just off to the side, so I opened it, cursing the zipper that seemed unnaturally loud. Sitting right on top were Bella's pajamas - a pair of plaid pants and my t-shirt. With a grin, I tossed them both onto the bed and left the accursed zipper undone as I moved the suitcase out of Bella's path to the bathroom so she wouldn't trip in the middle of the night.

Back at the bed, I frowned as I tried to figure out the best way to get Bella dressed. I untied her shoes and pulled them off, putting them under the edge of the bed. When I slipped off her socks, she gave a sleepy little giggle and tried to pull her feet away. With a small sigh, she rolled partially onto her stomach, one leg thrown out across the mattress.

Frowning, I leaned down, gently shaking her shoulder. "Bella? Come on, sweetheart, wake up…" She frowned in response, furrowing her brow. "Don't you want to change?"

She mumbled something I couldn't understand, nodding.

"Then you have to wake up...I put your pajamas on the bed." No response. "Bella?"

She gave an exasperated grunt and flipped onto her back, her hands going to the button of her jeans. My eyes widened, and I was frozen in place as I watched her pull hard, unbuttoning them in frustration before she yanked the zipper down. The whole time, her eyes were closed, and she was pouting, her lower lip jutting out.

Holy fuck.

I quickly looked away, listening to the sound of fabric rustling as I saw movement on the bed out of the corner of my eye. She probably thinks I'm "just" Jasper. I grimaced, running my fingers through my hair as I tried not to listen – or watch.

Bella's noises were becoming more irritated, and I could tell she was having trouble, so I glanced back over, trying to keep my eyes on just her face. She was frowning, her legs drawn up as she tried to pull her jeans down her calves.

Pink cotton.

Great. Despite my best attempts to be a gentleman, my mind automatically catalogued Bella's underwear as I gave a sigh and stepped over to help her. I focused on the quilt as I pulled her jeans off and let them fall to the floor. Her legs dropped back onto the mattress…right into my field of vision, and I couldn't seem to look away. I knew I had already seen this much of her in those shorts the other night, but images of that night didn't help either. I felt myself begin to harden as my brain seemed stuck on repeat.

Pink cotton panties. Pink cotton panties. Pink cotton panties.

You're disgusting.

I tried to make myself believe that, but I seemed to lack conviction with Bella half-dressed and lying on a bed in front of me. That thought, however, was enough to bring some sense back into my brain, and I picked up her pajama pants, putting her feet through before I pulled them up. She lifted her hips, reaching down to tug them up the rest of the way, and I was both relieved and really fucking sad to see that innocent-looking pair of underwear disappear.

I looked down at my t-shirt still lying on the bed and realized there was no way I wanted to go through that particular ordeal. I put it on top of her suitcase and walked over to the bed again, lifting her slightly so I could pull the covers back. I finally got her into bed and tucked under the covers. She always slept with them pulled all the way up and gathered under her chin, and it made me smile to see her settle in that way again.

Leaning down, I brushed her hair back again and kissed her forehead, whispering softly, "Good night, love." As I was straightening, I saw her smile, and she mumbled something I didn't quite catch. "What was that, sweetheart?"

Her eyes still closed, she breathed out her reply. "Love…ward…"

I felt a small jolt as I realized she did know it was me. My voice was embarrassingly breathless when I whispered back, "I love you too, Bella." I pressed a gentle kiss against her lips, smiling when she returned it. I stood up straight, watching her sleep for a moment before I turned to leave.

I heard the sounds of her shifting on the bed and figured she was just settling in. I made it to the door and reached to turn out the light, taking one last look at her over my shoulder. I was just in time to see her toss something out from under the quilt, making a soft thump as it landed on the floor.

Light blue lace bra.

Fuck. Me.

Again, my mind registered Bella's underwear before I could even look away. The fact that they weren't matching was somehow even more arousing, and I couldn't seem to force my mind away from trying to generate an image of what Bella must look like in those – in only those.

I flipped off the light, stepping out of the room into the dim hallway to find Jasper there waiting for me. He smirked at me as I closed the door, and all I could do was hope he couldn't recognize my problem through the layers of clothing I was wearing.

He gave me a knowing look, raising an eyebrow, but all he said was, "Here, this is your room." I followed him back down the hallway a bit to a door on the opposite side. I didn't ask how he knew I just wanted to go to bed. I simply stepped inside, grateful to be alone, and told him good night before I closed the door. I spotted Emmett's backpack and my suitcase on the floor and groaned. They were sitting right by the bed. The one full-sized bed I'd apparently be sharing with that douche.

Meh.

Maybe it'll be better since he hasn't been drinking?

We can only hope…

We'd had to share a bed before, and it was never a fun experience. Most of the time, it had been in some hotel room on a trip after a drunken night of partying when neither of us had found anyone we were interested in. I'd learned the hard way that a drunken, sleepy Emmett was an affectionate, cuddly Emmett, and I'd woken up with his arm thrown over me and his face between my shoulder blades more times than I cared to remember.

With a sigh, I unzipped my suitcase and pulled out everything I needed. I went into the attached bathroom, brushing my teeth before I changed into my pajamas. Whether or not Jasper had noticed it, my reaction to Bella was really fucking obvious to me, but the last thing I felt like doing was getting more worked up at the moment. I just wanted to sleep.

I tossed my toothbrush and toothpaste back into my toiletries bag and went into the bedroom, dropping the bag and my clothes back in my suitcase. Flipping the light off, I crossed the room again and took the same side of the bed as I did when I slept at Bella's. I tried to will my erection away, but the same images kept flashing through my mind. Bella's legs drawn up while the edge of those pink cotton panties slid up to expose part of her ass. Bella's bare thighs as she pushed her jeans down. A light blue lace bra hitting the floor. Bella's sweet smile as she whispered that she loved me.

I groaned, raking my fingers through my hair as I stared up at the ceiling I couldn't see. I was determined I was not going to jerk off, especially not in the bed I was, unfortunately, going to be sharing with Emmett. That jackass would know the minute he walked in - I always teased him about his uncanny ability to smell that shit. I could take a shower, but I was too fucking tired, and I was now determined to go to sleep without…relieving the tension anyway.

Completely sure that I would never fall asleep, I just lay there, idly running my fingers through my hair with my eyes open, seeing nothing but the darkness of the bedroom as I tried not to think about what I'd just seen. Instead, I thought about the next day, about meeting Charlie and spending the day with Bella's extended family…and leaving Bella. I grew melancholy, my thoughts naturally drifting in a different direction as I apparently worked to thoroughly depress myself.

I must've dozed off that way because the next thing I knew, the bed shook, and Emmett's gruff voice said, "Scoot over, fucker!" as he shoved me. I rolled onto my side, kicking back at him and catching his shin. I think I chuckled at his muffled curses before I drifted off to sleep again.

----------

A/N: Oh, the title to this chapter is from a song by the Smiths called "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want," which is also the song that prompts Jasper's lecture on music. Other songs mentioned in this chapter are "Creep" by Radiohead and "I Ain't Goin' Out Like That" and "How I Could Just Kill a Man," both by Cypress Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment